September 8, 2010

The Great Northern 2507 - A Nice Surprise Along the Lewis & Clark Highway

Yesterday, while driving on the Lewis & Clark Highway along Columbia river, I came across an interesting road sign labeled "Historic Locomotive Ahead". I was really intrigued and so I followed the road down to the town of Wishram to see what it was all about.


I was really surprised to find such a beautiful steam locomotive preserved in such an odd location. However, after a little while it all made sense. It is after all a rail yard and train station. It is the Great Northern 2507. A Baldwin P-2.  You can learn more about it at the Steam Locomotive site than I can do it justice here. Not the most photogenic enclosure, however it was a pleasant surprise nevertheless. Better to see it protected in this way rather than knowing it may be rusting away somewhere. There are a few more pictures in my archives if you are interested. If you like steam trains, it is certainly worth to stop by if you are in the area.